16 Dec Happy Earth Day! Every action counts
Earlier this month, the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) communicated that without immediate and deep emissions reductions across all sectors, limiting global warming to 1.5°C is beyond reach. Ouch!.. “We are at a crossroads. The decisions we make now can secure a liveable future. We have the tools and know-how required to limit warming,” said IPCC Chair Hoesung Lee. “I am encouraged by climate action being taken in many countries. There are policies, regulations and market instruments that are proving effective. If these are scaled up and applied more widely and equitably, they can support deep emissions reductions and stimulate innovation.” https://www.ipcc.ch/2022/04/04/ipcc-ar6-wgiii-pressrelease/
So “what can I do?” you might ask – to secure that liveable future:
- Your voice is the most powerful tool we have to push elected officials to take serious climate action. One effective and highly-respected bi-partisan organization is https://citizensclimatelobby.org/ . If you don’t feel like joining an organization, there is a very easy and effective app to download on your phone: Climate Action Now. (It only takes 15 mn to set-up your profile and less than 5 minutes to send messages to local, state or federal influencers, and it moves the needle!). On the business side, one of several organizations is the Clean Energy Business Network https://www.cebn.org/
- What you verbalize, and your personal choices and behaviors are the most powerful tool to influence your friends and family, your neighbors and communities. Examples: Limit your energy use, call your Utilities to switch to renewable energy (tons of options exist today); Work virtually when you can, carpool or bike together; minimize your waste – especially food waste; embrace the circular economy: Reduce, Reuse, Repair and as a last resort, Recycle; Eat local, ideally organic, reduce meat consumption (there are so many delicious alternatives today and it is so much better for your health). Grow plants. Move away from plastic (I love Grove.com and Blueland.com!) Etc..Etc… Conscious choices abound, pick what makes you happiest – it’s contagious (in a good way).
Every action matters. Little things done by many people can make a big difference. With more and more ordinary people taking action, we can reach the tipping point.
If you feel compelled to scale-up your impact so we can collectively succeed in averting the worst effects of climate change, here are three powerful tools:
- This incredible new initiative – The Week, you can signup for the next pilot here: https://www.subscribepage.com/theweekcountdown
- Project Drawdown: https://www.drawdown.org/climate-solutions-101
- Follow Katharine Hayhoe – SAVING US: A Climate Scientist’s Case for Hope and Healing in a Divided World.
I’m deeply grateful for all the people and organizations engaged in winning the climate emergency race and I wish everyone Happy Earth Day, today and everyday.
Please share your insights and resources and reach out anytime for more information.